Why did the SA government company decide to site Adelaide where it currently is? What tools and instruments were used to plan out the site?
What does a surveyor look for? Water supply, ease of accessibility, fertility of land, ease of travel.
In this hands on workshop, students will use a theodolite, draw up maps, measure, and document their findings.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Maths: measurement and geometry
- Year 4 (location and transformation) – Use simple scales, legends and directions to interpret information contained in basic maps
- Year 5 (location and transformation) – Use a grid reference system to describe locations. Describe routes using landmarks and directional languagel
History: Year 4, First Contacts and Year 5, The Australian Colonies
Key inquiry questions:
- What do we know about the lives of people in Australia’s colonial past and how do we know?
- How did an Australian colony develop over time and why?
- How did colonial settlement change the environment?
- What were the significant events and who were the significant people that shaped Australian colonies?
Students will need to have an understanding of colonisation prior to participating in the workshop.