This program takes students on a journey of exploring the past- school life and daily life of colonial Australia (1836-1875) before schooling became compulsory in South Australia. What did children learn at school? What technology was used? The program will:
- connect the past to the present through developing an understanding of school life in the nineteenth century
- explore the use of slate and slate pencils
- explore the history of this site
- consider the effects of colonization for Indigenous Australians
- consider how laws affected the lives of people, past and present.
It is recommended that teachers explore the concepts of personal and family histories and the past and present with students prior to the program.